Family Pregnancy

Welcome To Our World: Carsten’s Birth Story

12 February, 2014
carsten newborn

carsten newborn

A little over a week ago we welcomed our baby boy into our world.  Seems like it was just yesterday.  Ha!  Who am I kidding?  This has been the looonnnggeesstt week EVER!  I’m not going to lie…I’m borderline delirious right now from sleep deprivation and I’m pretty sure that a family of mice might have made a home out of my hair.  Wash it?  Ha-ha-ha-ha.  It’s a good day if I just brush it.

Okay…I’m being dramatic.  I have showered…once.

The sleep is getting better.  Every day we learn something new and we are slowly figuring this little munchkin out.  Nursing is the main issue right now, as I seem to have a lethargic nurser on my hands.  Feeding times vary from 45min to 2.5hours…depending of how sleepy he is.  Little cub has to eat though.  He needs to put some meat on those frog legs.

frog legsBack to our birth story.

Some of you might think that it is weird that I’m blogging about this, but as weird as it may sound I thoroughly enjoyed reading about others birth stories. Guess I’m weird.  It’s crazy how everyone’s experience is completely unique.  Ours is one that I will never forget…buutttt…just in case I do forget…I will have it all right here.

Soooo…here we go!

February 2, 2014


I woke up with a strange feeling in my lower back.  I thought, “Hmm…that’s different.”  Just as quick as it came…it went away.  Unable to fall back to sleep, I get out of bed and try to relax on the couch.  The feeling returns and I began to wonder what it is.  Again, the feeling goes away.  At this time, the “feeling” doesn’t quiet hurt.  It was more uncomfortable than anything.  On the fourth round of this “feeling”, I think to myself…”Self…could I be having contractions?”

I pull out my handy dandy smart phone and begin timing them.  For four hours (7am-noon), the contractions are about 10min apart.  Craig was determined that this day was the day and he told me that I should walk up and down the stairs to speed things up.

I refused.  I decided to shower instead.  While showering, the contractions slowed down.  For the next few hours the contractions slowed to about 15-20min apart.  I decided that I must be having false labor.  I think I was in some sort of denial.  After all, I wasn’t due for another week…and I was still convinced that I was going to go over my due date.

What a silly girl I was.

The contractions did not feel like I thought they should feel.  I really didn’t know what to expect.  I certainly didn’t expect it to feel like 2 daggers being jabbed into the back of my ovaries.


By now, Craig has the car packed and he is ready to have this baby.  I’m still in denial and try to make sure he doesn’t get his hopes up.  After all…I was in false labor.

Silly…silly girl.

Since the “false” contractions had simmered down some, I convinced my honey to drive me to Michael’s.  I needed a few items to finish up some projects for the nursery.  We went to Panera for some grub…and a pastry may or may not have sneaked in.

As we made our way into Michael’s, the contractions began to become closer together again.  Craig insisted on tracking them.  We slowly made our way through the store…like super slow.  Every contraction stopped me in my tracks.  They were still somewhat bearable and Craig did an amazing job reminding me to breathe.  We made our way to Target afterward.  I wanted to get a heating pad…thinking that it would help ease the back pain.

Silly…silly…silly girl.


We  made it back home and settled into our couches getting ready for the Super Bowl…because…you kmow…I wait all year to watch the Super Bowl.  Noidont.  The contractions are down to every 6 minutes.


Contractions are anywhere from 3-5 minutes apart, still not very consistent, but EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

We didn’t prepare ourselves for a natural childbirth.  We attended an 8 hour childbirth class that covered the basics.  I had plans to go as long as I could without pain meds, but I knew that in the end I would need an epidural.

I tried all the comforting techniques to get me through the contractions.  They helped to stop the pain about as much as a suppository helps stop diarrhea.  No position eased the pain.  The only thing that helped was guided imagery.  I would close my eyes…envision myself on a beach…breathe…and remind myself that it would be over in less than a minute.


We decide it’s time to make the call.  We speak to a midwife, whom I’ve yet to meet.  She tells me to try to relax in the tub or lie down for a while to see if they stop or slow down.



I jump in the tub and it feels good for about 5 minutes. I get out and try one more attempt to lie down.




Contraction…throw up.

Well…that was a first.  I always wondered how in the world pain could cause someone to throw up.  I still wonder…

On that note…it is most definitely time to make the 45 minute drive to the hospital.  Somehow, we manage to make it there uneventfully.


The nurse takes us back to triage and hooks me up to a monitor.  At this time I am 3cm dilated.  After 20 minutes of monitoring, they decide that my contractions are not consistent.  They are anywhere from 2-5 minutes apart.  We are instructed to walk around for one hour and they will recheck me afterward.  If nothing changes, they will most likely send me home.

The walk of death begins.  Seriously…worst hour of my life.  The daggers in my back have now turned to scythes.  Craig does a fantastic job supporting me through it and one hour later we make it back to our triage room.

A nurse walks in and checks me.  “Oh…you’re still only 3cm dilated.”  She hooks me back up to the monitor and leaves.

As soon as she leaves, I burst into tears.  The fear of them sending me home with so much pain is quiet overwhelming.  I manage to make it through 20 more minutes of monitoring.

Another nurse comes in…checks me…6cm dilated!


Woohoo!  Let’s get this show on the road!  Don’t I look excited?

Midnight February 3, 2014

I am officially admitted and am finally able to get an epidural.  Bring it on!  The nurse asks me if it is working and I respond that I am not sure.  She responds back with,  “Well, I think it is because you are in the middle of a big contraction.”   The voice of singing angels rang in my ears.

My nurse instructs me and the hubs to try and get some rest.  Craig is too excited to sleep and heads to the waiting room to hang out with our mothers.


I wake up with a heavy pressure is my pelvic area.  My first thought is, “Oh no…the epidural isn’t working anymore.”  I call the nurse…she checks me…10cm dilated!



Four and a half exhausting hours later, Carsten enters into our world.  Why it took me that long to push out a 5lb 15oz baby (also requiring an epsiotomy), I will never understand.  I blame it on the epidural.

I am unable to describe the overwhelming feeling of love that I felt as soon as I laid my eyes on him.  I couldn’t believe he was here…and he was real…and he was ours.  Then, I held him…and it was all over…my heart exploded.


I’m a mom!

I was so impressed with the way that Craig handled the whole situation.  I mean…he was all up in my business the whole time.  I was also super impressed with the hospital staff.  From the anesthesiologist to my amazing nurse to my even more amazing doctor.  I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.  Well…minus the walk of death.  Oh…and the 4 1/2 hours of pushing.  Could’ve done without that.  Anyway, something amazing came out of this whole experience…and I am soooo happy that God blessed us with a healthy baby boy.

We ended up staying 3 nights.  He was a little jaundice and they were a little concerned about his weight.  I was sort of thankful to stay a little longer, because I was able to get a little more education on nursing.  Oh man…that’s a whole other story!

He's a dad!

He’s a dad!

Craig is officially in love!!

Time to go home!

Time to go home!

Thank you to those who have followed and supported me through this pregnancy.  It was such a life changing experience.  We are looking forward to taking this change one day at a time and really enjoying every second of it.

carsten instagram Collage

Shared on Instagram @luchandler




P.S.  Craig has already gotten peed on!  hehehe

Sharing with On Your Heart @ Casey Wiegand   and Funday Monday @ Still Being Molly

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Aunt Joni 12 February, 2014 at 1:57 pm

    Love, love, love your story! Oh how it brings back memories of my deliveries! Ouch, ouch! Two totally natural, but the third, oh my….epidural here I come and it was the best!

    So glad to know you guys are adjusting. Everyday is a new day! Don’t be afraid to ask for help, and TAKE IT if offered to you! Sleep is what you really want/need!

    Hope to see this little man soon!
    Aunt Joni

    • Reply Luisa 13 February, 2014 at 4:32 pm

      Thank you Aunt Joni! I have learned to become a master napper!

  • Reply Angela King 12 February, 2014 at 4:06 pm

    Congrats Luisa and Craig. What a beautiful little boy! I’m glad your labor was uneventful and I wish you all the best!

    • Reply Luisa 13 February, 2014 at 4:33 pm

      Thank you Angela! :-)

  • Reply Aunt Linda 12 February, 2014 at 5:40 pm

    Luisa and Craig – congratulations on your little one, Carsten! I loved reading your blog – it made me smile the entire time I was reading it, and, yes, it does bring back the memories of those early sleepless days and weeks! The pics are wonderful and I love your story! So happy for you!
    Love, Aunt Linda

    • Reply Luisa 13 February, 2014 at 4:34 pm

      Thank you so much Aunt Linda! It is all worth it!

  • Reply Jeff 13 February, 2014 at 3:20 am

    Congrats! He’s precious!

    • Reply Luisa 13 February, 2014 at 4:34 pm

      Thank you Jeff…I have to agree! 😉

  • Reply Carol prothro 13 February, 2014 at 4:19 am

    I am so happy for the two you! Words are hard to describe the experience of giving birth, and you did that so beautifully with the humor attached. I have always said that the three times I did it (all naturally) were the best days of my life. The love for that new baby just overwhelms you. Best of luck and enjoy him, he is beautiful. Aunt Carol

    • Reply Luisa 13 February, 2014 at 4:35 pm

      Thank you Carol! My thoughts exactly!

  • Reply Carol prothro 13 February, 2014 at 4:20 am

    PS. What a great Valentine’s Day Gift is receive. God bless him!

  • Reply Lisa at Texas Decor 13 February, 2014 at 12:00 pm

    I loved reading your birth story! You’ll be so glad you documented it in the years to come. :) Carsten is a beautiful boy and y’all are such a sweet family! Congrats again and enjoy your sweet boy’s first Valentine’s Day!
    Lisa at Texas Decor recently posted…Around The HouseMy Profile

    • Reply Luisa 13 February, 2014 at 4:36 pm

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment Lisa! We are still on cloud 9!

  • Reply Emily 16 February, 2014 at 4:59 am

    Oh my word what a stunner!! And I love his name, congrats momma!
    Emily recently posted…Gimme the Slow and SteadyMy Profile

    • Reply Luisa 17 February, 2014 at 4:20 pm

      Thank you so very much! :-)

  • Reply Jesse 17 February, 2014 at 5:27 am

    He is beautiful! I’m so happy for you both! Good luck over the coming weeks as you adjust to being new parents! I hope you will be having the time of your lives! Can’t wait to see more pictures!
    Jesse recently posted…What’s been going onMy Profile

    • Reply Luisa 17 February, 2014 at 4:22 pm

      Thank you Jesse! We need it! I knew that transitioning into parenthood would be tough…but whoa! This little guy is worth it!

  • Reply Carolyn @ life, love & puppy prints 25 February, 2014 at 4:46 am

    I love birth stories! :) Thanks for sharing! He’s so precious! I co-hosted the linkup this week – thanks for linking up!
    Carolyn @ life, love & puppy prints recently posted…baby footprint canvas {tutorial}My Profile

  • Reply Trusting & Funday Monday Link-Up! | still being [Molly] 2 March, 2014 at 6:01 pm

    […] Incredibly Stylish Fashion Bloggers You Should Know /A Birth Story / Fur + Camo / […]

  • Leave a Reply

    CommentLuv badge

    %d bloggers like this: